Sunday, September 7, 2008

How a suggestion turned into the real deal

My friends gave me an orange (supposedly hot) pepper as I left their party last night and suggested I blog about what happens to it. They feared the heat of the pepper and gave it to me after hearing me profess my love of hot peppers. Or at least that's how I think it came about... I was tipsy at the time and all I remembered was:
Take this pepper. Pepper hot. Blog about it.

I am not necessarily a connoisseur of hot peppers. My love of peppers is currently limited to:
  • hot giardinera (the stuff that goes on a Chicago Italian Beef)
  • pepperoncini (not really hot but super vinegary)
  • jalapenos
  • pickled jalapenos and carrots
  • sport peppers (hot and vinegary)
I'm not sure if this pepper is a habanero or a jalapeno.

The handy visual guide to peppers has brought me to those two possible options.

In the meantime while I pondered the true identity of my pepper I baked pineapple right-side-up cupcakes from the recipe in Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World! They look like they turned out well. Haven't had a taste test of the finished product yet... though all the components definitely tasted wonderful (for instance the topping alone would make an excellent pineapple sundae topping) which leads me to think that they are probably fine.

5 comments:

JerRocks said...

Yup, the pineapple cupcakes were delicious!

Jimbo said...

I don't think it's a habanero. Those are the same color of orange, but usually shaped like a little tiny bell pepper. Sort of. Anyway, is there anything else that we gave away? If I see you make a blog about a "new" iPod, then I'll know where it went!

Rachel said...

At least you remember the pepper incident in a vague way. On Sunday I said “hey Jim, didn't there used to be an additional pepper in this bowl?”

More pepper clues... this pepper used to be green—and not the dark ominous stress-marked green of our jalapenos, but a sort of happy translucent yellow-green. There were two and, believing by the color that these might be a mild and delicious Anaheim-type chile, I prepared to use it as a taco topping. However, further exploration with the help of a knife led to pain in my cat-scratched thumb and a tingly feeling where I had carelessly scratched the side of my nose. I stuck a sesame-sized portion of pepper into my mouth and quickly removed same.

Perhaps I can consult my dad since he gave me this mystery plant, but he seems to have mislabeled most of his seeds this year anyway.

Rachel said...

Oh no! I just realized that I may have told you the whole story of the pepper already in my drunken haze, down to burning my nose. I am going to go crawl in a hole now. On an unrelated note, awesome cupcakes! Ok, hole.

Ash said...

The pepper wound up being HOT!